Dental implants are probably something you’ve heard of. Dentists specializing in restorative dentistry have access to some of the most flexible tools on the market. A natural, healthy smile can be restored with the help of dental implants. This is essential to avoid a shift in the rest of your teeth. In addition, crooked teeth can cause serious bite problems.
However, what is a dental implant made of? Let’s look at the best dental implant materials in today’s dental implant world.
Many different materials are used to create dental implants
For so long, titanium was the only material used to make dental implants. More and more dental implants are now made from various dental implant materials, thanks to technological advancements. Clinical applications of these materials have been thoroughly researched, considering the physical and chemical properties that influence their performance.
The implant’s microstructure and surface composition are examples of these characteristics. Dental implant materials should, ideally, show signs of biocompatibility. Both corrosion and fracturing should be taken into account when designing them.
Titanium and zirconium are the most common metals used in dental implant construction. Regardless of the materials used, dental implants must be solid and long-lasting. The dental implant’s materials and design must be able to withstand the physical properties of the patient.
The following are the most commonly used dental implant materials today.
Materials for titanium dental implant surgery: Titanium, a metal alloy, is the world’s most frequently used dental implant material. In the 1950s, it was discovered that it had a unique quality. Implants made of titanium metal have been found to promote healthy bone growth during this period. The bone will grow next to them if they are placed in contact with it and are not disturbed. This, in turn, will lead to a long-term relationship.
Titanium dental implant materials have been in high demand since their discovery. Long-lasting results are achieved at a low cost. It’s still one of the best materials for dental implants ever.
Materials for Zirconia dental implant: Dental implant materials made of zirconia, as opposed to titanium, are relatively new. In terms of dental implant materials, it’s widely regarded as the most promising new technology. Full abutment use of zirconia dental implant materials was introduced in the early 1990s. However, titanium implants were still popular at this time.
Coralroot didn’t release its first all-in-one crown made from dental implant materials until 2003. Despite their relatively short history, Zirconia dental implant materials are gaining popularity.
Implants with an apical compression thread and straight, flexible, or angled solid attachments are called single-piece implants.
Valid for all types of restorative dental work. A properly placed compression screw allows for immediate prosthetic loading when performing surgery (restoration placed within three days or less)
Signs of KOC Dental Implants:
- Crown, bridge, and bar anchorage are possible if the bone supply is good enough in terms of bone quality, width, and height.
- KOC has not been used in conjunction with bone augmentation.
- The use of bars and ball retainer systems to anchor prostheses.
- Single tooth treatment.
- Screw with a single piece of a rough surface.
- Single-piece design reduces costs, peri-implantitis risk, and screw loosening complications.
- The most popular surface-treated implant brand.
- Because of the polished crystal threads and thin but bendable solid neck, this prosthetic prevents the loss of crestal bone tissue and infection.
- Threads with a large pitch at the apices, Increased wettability, and micro anchorage are benefits of a rough surface.
What distinguishes some dental implant materials from others in terms of their performance?
As previously stated, titanium and zirconia are the primary materials used in dental implants. Two dental implant materials have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
For example, titanium has been used in medical and dental procedures and has shown a high success rate. In comparison to zirconia, it has a wide range of applications. Titanium has long been the preferred metal in all bone and plate implants. With the help of titanium, millions of people have been helped.
The most effective dental implant material, titanium, has been superior to zirconia for several reasons.
- In a two-piece system, titanium dental implant materials and designs can be made. Implants are supported by an abutment, which bridges the implant and the replacement tooth. Implanted in the bone, the other option is a metal post. This is not possible with zirconia. As a result, it is produced as a single unit.
- Because titanium is biocompatible, it is the best dental implant material. Meaning it’s a perfect fit for the human body. Exactly what it should be. The human bone can also be fused with it.
- The two-piece system can solve low bone deficiencies, which allows for a custom implant. Even if you suffer from bone loss, you can still have a beautiful smile.
- Zirconia dental implant materials, on the other hand, combine the post and abutment into a single unit. As a result, there is less concern about bacteria lurking in the gum. However, zirconia dental implant materials and their ceramic designs have not yet been fully appreciated. This is because it is a relatively new invention. As a result, it hasn’t been tested as titanium dental implant materials have.